Saturday 5 February 2011

A fabric swatch for the Goddess of Ice

Even though I've been missing from the blogsphere, I was still creating, so in no particular order, I'll be posting some of the things I've been working on.

Last August, I took part in ATASDA's Palm House exhibition "Voyage of the Imagination". 
I had a few ideas bubbling away for this but finally settled on a dragon boat and a wall hanging.  (the dragon boat I'll show later)

The wall hanging was in two parts, a red piece and a white which I joined together for the exhibition, but have now separated them into two individual pieces- they are a fabric collage with added surface embellishments including beading and hand embroidery and handmade cords.
I've had the pictures on Flickr for a couple of weeks but here is the story to go with them.

"Fabric Swatch for the Goddesses of Fire and Ice"
I love trashy fantasy novels and in the midst of planning and experimenting for the Voyage of Imagination, I started reading Martin Millar's "Lonely Werewolf Girl"  (the Guardian newspaper credits him with having invented the genre 'pulp fantasy noir')

Two of the minor characters in the book were the opposing elemental goddesses of fire and ice.
 
In this 21st century, Malveria, the Fire Queen, found it no longer socially acceptable to cast sacrifices to the volcano, so she contented herself by watching fashion shows on cable TV and consulting with her designer to surpass her rivals at the Ice Queen's cocktail party.

I like to think both ladies would approve my red and white pieces as fabric swatches for their latest outfits.

This first lot of photos is for the Ice Godess.


The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

The Ice Goddess

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails