Even so, it's been some time since I've made up this pattern, so I brought in The Watcher to make sure I did things right. He was made from the same pattern.
Under his eagle eye, I used a finish that I've wanted to try on a dragon for some time - back in February 2011 I posted about adding scraps of lace and painting over them, a technique demonstrated by Margaret Talbot in Cloth, Paper Scissors magazine. (I might add that the doll in that post still doesn't have a head!)
A few mistakes - first I wanted the dragon to be white - not a good idea to use a dark blue base fabric, it showed through a lot of the little lacy holes.
The doiley wings were soaked in watered down PVA glue to stiffen them.
My next mistake was to use old sewing pins to pin the doiley wings into folds while they dried overnight - the pins rusted in no time flat and by morning my lovely white wings had rust stains which I then had to cover in white paint.
Brushed on several shades of Lumiere paint and she ready for her first flight around the clothes line!
Addendum to Lacey: One of my friends suggested that "Lacey" wasn't a highly original name - she even "hmph..ed" at it!!I had to point out that Lacey was not her full title -
she is the Lady Lacey Fabula D'Oiley...and m'lady was highly offended at being "hmph..ed" at.