Thursday 28 December 2006

Christmas in Sydney

While all the bloggers up-top are posting their pictures of December snow, I thought you might like to see how one group of us downunder celebrated.

I was a bit worried when my son said my nephew had hired a catamaran to take a group of us out sailing, I had visions of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race, and definitely didn't want to be swinging out over the side or keel hawling or other nautical stuff, so I was relieved to find the boat was quite civilised and had a couple of cabins and a good seating area up top.

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

we almost had a stow away but he jumped ship before we left the dock

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

this is the little commuter ferry that travels across Broken Bay to Patonga Beach

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

here's son steering (is that the right term for driving a boat, I'm sure there is supposed to be a nautical expression for steering - I'll have to watch "Pirates" again, although I'd probably be too distracted by Cap'n Jack to listen for the right expressions)

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

nephew had a slightly different technique for his steering:

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

and just look at this, you could imagine it would have looked just the same when the early explorers sailed here 200 years ago (I nearly said Captain Cook, but I don't think Cook actually entered Broken Bay, I know he didn't enter Sydney Harbour but sailed past it - will have to read up a little more on Pittwater)

Pittwater, Sydney NSW

We wondered what this ship was doing here, it was called the Orion, looked a bit suss moored in this quiet little backwater with radar and big round whatsits on top, but googled it later and found it was a cruise ship with a load of poms here for the cricket - at about AU$18,000 a head. (that's without the air fare to Australia)

I wonder what the poor people are doing...

Oh that's right...they are sailing past in a catamaran...

Mystery Ship

I won't bore you with all the photos, but there are more on flickr if you'd like to see them

Broken Bay heads

The return trip across the heads of Broken Bay was a little rough but the boys handled things superbly, at times they almost looked like they knew what they were doing, and I had a great time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails