Monday, April 23, 2012

Week 16 - The Dragon Boat - part 3

I've just found the final posting of my Dragon Boat project still in the drafts folder, so I thought it would make a perfect entry for this week.

The boat was originally created in 2010 as a means of travel for a Voyage of Imagination exhibition.

The details on how it all came about and process can be found here:

Dragon Boat part 1
and
Dragon Boat part 2

These next two photos show the tail.



Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the head in progress, but these finished pictures should give you the idea.



What looked like the neck in the photos from the previous post, became the lower jaw of the head.
The upper head and face was formed as a padded mask and wrapped around the neck/jaw.

After the face was attached I felt it still looked a bit bare so I added padded pieces ...not sure what to call them....if they were on a chicken they could be the wattles....but it gave the neck line a little more body.

Being a sea dragon I wanted a seaweedy look so did some free machine embroidery in orange cotton on water soluble Solvy and attached pieces to his mouth and chin, then made some more pieces for his tail.

I added some more fins to the side of the body with long trailing free machining threads using a technique I'd learnt in a Carole Wilkes workshop (and love using whenever I can)




I worked over the surface adding beads and cording and hand embroidery - all of which in retrospect, for ease of working,  should have been done before it was assembled - isn't hindsight wonderful!

It was a very difficult piece to photograph so I hope the next gives you an idea of the finishing boat.




Having problems with Flickr at the moment, so these were uploaded to blogger.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love it:)

Els said...

Love this dragon boat !!!!

Erica said...

thank you Mary Ann and Els

Related Posts with Thumbnails