Last year I was inspired by an article in Quilting Arts magazine featuring Frances Holliday Alford. Creating one square a week, Frances made a journal art quilt for her 57th year. My next birthday was going to be a BIGGIE so I decided to celebrate it with a similar project.
I started what was to be my quilt on my birthday in March 2007, but after about two months of weekly squares, it was obvious that this was going to be one whopping big quilt...I didn't really want it to be a bed quilt and I'd long since run out of wall space.
So the plan changed to creating a fabric journal of the squares.
(now instead of a whopping big quilt, I have a whopping big book!)
Of course the year passed before I'd finished stitching, March turned into May before the pages were finished, then the problem was how to put them all together.
Because of the quilt idea, I'd started with squares which were to be joined together, with the change of plan I needed to place them back to back to form book pages.
The squares were made from hand painted cotton with quilting fibre backing.
I decided to attached them to fabric backing - which meant more hand stitching on top of the work I'd already done:
The fabric was folded wrong side out, so the two pages were facing each other inside, then stitched top and bottom to make a pocket:
The pocket was then turned right sides out:
I made a border to cover the raw edge
This was turned and the raw edge of the pocket placed inside and stitched
I still had no firm idea of how all this was going to be joined together...
to be continued...